Full House This Thanksgiving? Here’s How You Can Keep Your House Comfortable
Most people don’t think of energy efficiency when they think of Thanksgiving. However, America’s
favorite dinner date doesn’t have to be all about waste. You can enjoy the decadence of delicious food
from start to finish while still minding your energy budget! Here’s how:
Step Away from the Oven
When possible, try using other devices in your kitchen to prepare your feast instead of the oven. From
your slow cooker to your toaster oven – an even your microwave – there are many ways to cook up a
fantastic meal without relying exclusively on your oven and stovetop. (And most of them use much less
It can be tempting to give your turkey and sides a regular peek every now and then as they cook but
consider this: you lose a lot of energy every time you open that door. Your oven has to work overtime to
compensate for hot air escaping, so use the transparent door to check on your cooking – and keep lids
tight-fitting to keep heat working hard where it belongs!
Gather the Family – and the Side Dishes
While your turkey is cooking, try to use that heat to cook other dishes on your menu as well. If you have
casseroles, pies, or other dishes that require the heat of your oven, try to time and place them correctly
so that they can bake right alongside the turkey for added efficiency.
Recruit Cleanup Help
Rinsing dishes may make the washing process easier, but it also wastes a lot of energy. Ask your dining
guests to scrape their dishes as they finish and wash a single load in the washer rather than
handwashing between every course.
Save the Leftovers
Most people agree that leftovers are one of the best parts of Thanksgiving. They only stay that way if
you store them promptly and properly, though. Be sure to seal all leftover food in reusable containers
and refrigerate promptly. They’ll keep serving up delicious bites for days to come without much
additional energy cost.
Looking for more ways to keep your energy use as efficient as possible this Thanksgiving? Consult the
energy-efficiency experts here at Same Day Service Plumbing. We can help you ensure your plumbing,
HVAC, and more are ready for the demands of the day – and capable of keeping your on-budget for the
Never Go Without Hot Water Again
Traditional or standard water heaters come with an in-built water tank that is constantly filled and heated at a set temperature before every use. It takes considerable amount of time to heat water and at times you may get stuck waiting for it to be ready for use.
Instant water heaters are tankless but have a set of coils or a heat exchanger that gets activated immediately when the unit is turned on. The water gets heated rapidly as it passes through the hot coils and you have all the hot water you need available instantly!
If your standard hot water heater is getting old or needs repairs, consider replacing the unit with a tankless hot water heater. Instant water systems make complete sense for homeowners for several reasons, especially for vacation or second homes.
8 Reasons to Upgrade to a Tankless Water Heater
- Conservation of Energy: Tankless water heaters conserve energy by only heating the amount of water needed at the time. You won’t waste energy heating water when it’s not needed.
- Lower Utility Bills: Utility bills get reduced immediately and over the years because instant hot water heaters operate more efficiently, heating only the required amount of water when needed. Additionally, tankless water heating systems can be turned off when the appliance is not in use, to save money. Moreover, tankless systems eliminate heat losses.
- Unlimited, On-demand Hot Water Supply: Say No to long waits! Instant water heaters provide hot water immediately, without having to wait for water to get heated, as in the case of conventional water heaters.
- Better Quality Hot Water: When you’re not using your standard water heater, the water that stays in the tank for longer duration can gather rust, scale and lead which make the water impure and lower its quality. Such degradation is totally avoided in tankless systems.
- More durable & Long Lasting: Instant water heaters do not have a tank and this means lesser need for repairs or leakages. Moreover, these systems can last up to two times longer than a standard water heater.
- Protection of your property: Tankless water heater installed in your vacation or second home helps avoid the risk of any hazards, mishaps or flooding from water heater leakages while you’re not there and saves your house property from getting damaged. With the traditional water heaters, there is always the risk of leaking, or rupturing which may cause significant water damage. With a tankless system, there is much less chance of water damage occurring.
- Lesser Use of Space: Tankless water heaters have a compact size that utilizes much lesser space than conventional hot water heaters. They are wall mountable, either inside or outside of your home.
- Environment friendly: Tankless heating systems provide on-demand hot water instantly without having to waste or run down cold water that runs through the pipeline before hot water reaches the faucets and showers.
Our experts at Same Day Service Plumbing, Heating & Air can help you choose the right unit and provide suitable solutions to help you save energy and money. We are experts in installing, inspecting, servicing, repairing, and replacing all makes and models of hot water heaters. Contact us today to schedule an inspection.